What we expect from you…
- You should be available for at least 3 months. During these months you will work for about 4 to 6 hours per day (Monday-Friday). You will fill in the remaining hours of the day independently or with the other volunteers. Of course we offer an introduction to Iquitos, but you will probably find your own way around soon.
- You are someone who is at ease in a group of children in an educational setting. The teacher always has the final responsibility. You must be able to clearly state limits to the children.
- You possess a basic knowledge of Spanish. Start well in advance with a course or follow one in Peru just before coming to Iquitos. When you speak some Spanish you can immediately begin building up a relationship with the children. The start can be quite frustrating if you cannot communicate with them.
- You are willing to raise funds for our project before and after your stay at El Manguaré. No one can tell better about the difference you made for these little children than the people who have been working with them.
- Your trip and accommodation are at your own expense. We do provide you with a free working experience and unforgettable stay in a unique part of the world.
- You take care to be properly insured before arrival. Make sure your health and travel insurance have global coverage.
What can you expect from us …
- Reception on arrival in Iquitos
- We will orient you to Iquitos.
- Encounters with children who will take you to their hearts. You will see them grow through the attention you give them. You yourself will grow by experiencing their power and curiosity. Your work has mainly to do with education.
- Support when the culture shock is hard to coop with.
- You can stay in our volunteer house. This costs 200 dollars per month. Provided that there are not too many volunteers, you can have a private room. The house lies in a safe area, just outside of Iquitos (20 min. by car to the center). Day and night it is a very quiet place. You cook your own meals in the outdoor kitchen. Check out some pictures of the volunteer house.
- We can always assist in finding other lodgings.
Are you eager to get to work at El Manguaré? It’s really worth it. That is what the volunteers think who were there before you! Check out the stories of other volunteers (sorry, they are in dutch) and see what have to say!
Is this what you are looking for? Do you want to help? Do not hesitate and contact us right away.